Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Re: [BLUG] Bragging rights

Scott Blaydes wrote:
> Okay, this may not be a big deal to some of you, but I was pretty
> proud of myself for it. I successfully installed Gentoo 2007.0 via a
> stage 3 minimal install. I have tried this a few times, but never
> ended up with a usable machine afterwards. This time I had a few
> problems with the dhcp client, but was able to fix it since I actually
> understood what I was doing. My main complaint though is that vi is
> not included in the default install or the install media, but nano
> is. Almost bad enough to make me want to go back to emacs.
>
> Now I love Ubuntu, and I know it has a place in the landscape of Linux
> Distros, but sometimes it is nice to install a distro that makes you
> think and learn about what you are doing. Now I won't pretend that I
> understand everything that I did while following the handbook
> instructions, but I understood enough to take care of a problem that I
> did come across.
>
> I have been running Ubuntu on my desktop since 5.04, but I still think
> back to a Debian install I had years ago as my favorite since I had
> set it up from scratch and poured quite a bit of time into getting to
> do everything I wanted at the time. Damn, Automatix has spoiled me.
>
>

Congrats Scott! Nicely done!

Somebody at work was saying that there is some political stuff going
down in the Gentoo community that seems to be causing a sort of chasm or
rift. Is this true? What is the status here? How does the future of
Gentoo look?

--
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: