Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Re: [BLUG] Bragging rights

Congrats Scott!

I've not played with a true self-compiling distribution since... oh,
back in 1996 or so. (It was on an Yggdrasil 4 CD set.) I don't even
remember what that distribution was called anymore.

A year or so back I did a Linux-From-Scratch installation
<http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/>, which was fun. It isn't self-hosted,
though. It is hosted on another Linux system, first via cross-compile
techniques, then via chroot.

That was back after I became disgruntled with Debian, but before I found
Ubuntu. I actually decided to go with Linux From Scratch instead of
Gentoo at the time. I seem to remember part of the reasoning stemming
from bandwidth issues. (Due to versions of locally cached files it was
faster to go with LFS.)

Cheers,
Steven black

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 11:47 -0400, Scott Blaydes wrote:
> Okay, this may not be a big deal to some of you, but I was pretty proud
> of myself for it. I successfully installed Gentoo 2007.0 via a stage 3
> minimal install. I have tried this a few times, but never ended up with
> a usable machine afterwards. This time I had a few problems with the
> dhcp client, but was able to fix it since I actually understood what I
> was doing. My main complaint though is that vi is not included in the
> default install or the install media, but nano is. Almost bad enough to
> make me want to go back to emacs.
>
> Now I love Ubuntu, and I know it has a place in the landscape of Linux
> Distros, but sometimes it is nice to install a distro that makes you
> think and learn about what you are doing. Now I won't pretend that I
> understand everything that I did while following the handbook
> instructions, but I understood enough to take care of a problem that I
> did come across.
>
> I have been running Ubuntu on my desktop since 5.04, but I still think
> back to a Debian install I had years ago as my favorite since I had set
> it up from scratch and poured quite a bit of time into getting to do
> everything I wanted at the time. Damn, Automatix has spoiled me.
>
> Scott Blaydes
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: