Friday, June 29, 2007

Re: [BLUG] Has the list gone quiet?

It has always been smooth as cake for me.

I use gnome-cups-manager to configure printers. It has always been
easy and painless. So much so that I wouldn't even know how to do
a presentation about it. (I use Ubuntu.) Basically, I've just went to
System->Administration selected "Printers" double-clicked
"Add Printer" and followed the druid's prompts. This has worked for
me every time so far.

Please note, it looks like gnome-cups-manager is no longer supported
upstream and Ubuntu will eventually move to something else[1].

Prior to the GNOME/CUPS era, I managed to print using MagicFilter with
Ghostscript with LPD. Even that didn't seem particularly hard at the time.
(Certainly not as easy as CUPS.) If I remember proplerly, I basically just
installed the packages and did a minor adjustment of a text file to get
MagicFilter hooked up. I can't quite place the last time I did this.

Also note, I've always been careful about the printers I buy. Back in
the day, I actually had a printer well supported by both BeOS and Linux.
(It has historically been safe to either get a Postscript printer or an
Epson. Though at this point there are a lot more options.)

For those unaware, both my wife and I are big fans of the CUPS "PDF writer"
printer. Very handy.

Cheers,
Steven Black

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/printerdrake

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 06:47:38PM -0400, David Ernst wrote:
> My experiences with CUPS have also been very unhappy, and I'm gearing
> up for another one soon. If anyone out there thinks CUPS is easy and
> great, that would be another great presentation topic. :)
>
> David
>
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 10:34:42PM +0000, ben lipkowitz wrote:
> >Looks like you are the next presenter; congratulations!
> >Seriously though, all the things on your list sounded good to me.
> >(well, except for the migrating from evolution stuff)
> >
> >I'd be interested in hearing about "cool stuff in python" and "why
> >Makefiles go bad".
> >
> >I got my first laser printer today and now have the joy of setting it up.
> >Is it just me or does CUPS really suck? I thought I could just type
> >"printconf" but no..
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: