Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Re: [BLUG] DVD player troubles

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 01:26:11AM -0400, Evan Boggs wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 02:16 -0400, Michel Salim wrote:
> > Does the disc work fine on other computers, or under Windows?
> Yes, I've tried a couple discs that *wouldn't* play under Linux on my
> Windows partition, and both played fine. (Additionally, I tried one on
> a friend's laptop and it worked fine there, too.) So VLC has no problem
> talking to the drive under Windows, just under Linux.

If the disc works fine under Windows, then it likely isn't an issue with
the disc or the drive. It may be a simple matter of it being an issue with
copy protection. CSS isn't the only measure being used on modern discs. I've
actually run across issues with DVDs that didn't play in unmodified
consumer-grade external players. (Legally this left me with one option,
use a different player to watch the movie. Fortunately I have more than
one, and they're not identical, so I could do this.)

You need to get one of the discs in the hands of a friend or associate
who can test it on their Linux setup (which is known to otherwise work).
If someone knows of your issue, you may be able to find someone willing
to help at the next BLUG meeting.

Personally, I can not help in this matter. I have a policy of not watching
commercial DVDs on any computer. (I have a media PC, and I watch DVDs made
from broadcast television. These DVDs have no copy protection, as I make
them.) Due to this policy, I safely avoid violating the DMCA. (As it is a
violation to use any library in Linux to access a copy-protected DVD, even
one that I physically possess, presumably own, and have no intentions
outside of accessing the media to view it.)

I apologize if it sounds like I quote the law all the time. I don't like
it either. Until the law gets changed we all have to obey it, though.
Anytime anyone discusses illegal activities and I'm around I like to be
on record as stating it is a bad idea. It is a simple matter of CYA.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_your_ass> Saying nothing could be
considered condoning breaking the law.

I remind you that this is an open channel, and the government has publicly
stated that there is no expectation of privacy in unencrypted email. They
believe they can freely monitor email traffic, and I heard that they were
doing so prior to 9/11. Ignoring that, it is quite possible the list may be
archived unobstrusively somewhere that provides it a connection to a search
engine. As I said, this is an open channel. Anyone may be reading.

Cheers,
Steven Black

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: