Wednesday, August 22, 2007

RE: [BLUG] DVD player troubles

Try looking at this FAQ. It's for a different player, but it has a few
suggestions that may be relevant. It may be a permissions issue.
<http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/faq.shtml>

This site had another possible suggestion,
<http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=849403&postcount=3>


--
Jeffery Williams

> -----Original Message-----
> From: blug-admin@cs.indiana.edu [mailto:blug-admin@cs.indiana.edu] On
> Behalf Of Boggs, Evan Thomas
> Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:26 AM
> To: blug@cs.indiana.edu
> Subject: Re: [BLUG] DVD player troubles
>
> On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 02:16 -0400, Michel Salim wrote:
> > Does the disc work fine on other computers, or under Windows?
> Yes, I've tried a couple discs that *wouldn't* play under Linux on my
> Windows partition, and both played fine. (Additionally, I tried one
on
> a friend's laptop and it worked fine there, too.) So VLC has no
> problem
> talking to the drive under Windows, just under Linux.
>
> > What version of libdvdread?
> I was using 0.9.4 (from the repos), but I compiled the latest version
> (0.9.7) to see if it would make a difference (it didn't).
>
> > I used Lite-on the last time I made a purchase, and was quite happy
> > with it.
> I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I'd rather not spend $30 on a new
one,
> but I might have to. (I've taken to ripping ISO images to my hard
> drive
> and mounting those. Maybe I'll stave off buying a new player until I
> run out of hard drive space.)
>
> > Firmware should be no problem for using VLC or mplayer,
> > really, as long as you can get raw access to the disc (haven't heard
> > any instance of it not working in Linux, unlike in Mac OS X where
> > Apple controls the drivers)
> The weird thing about this whole mess is that upgrading the firmware
> *did* allow me to play some discs that I hadn't been able to play
> previously, so it most likely had *some* impact.
>
> > Make a BartPE Windows live CD?
> Not a bad idea.
>
> Cheers,
> Evan
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: