Saturday, August 11, 2007

Re: [BLUG] Trying something new

Ok, so what brands are people swearing by these days?

I've used WD, Maxtor, Seagate, Hitachi and IBM over the past 10 years,
although the last two very little. I've just found WD to be much more
realiable. I'm always regretting it when I choose a different brand.

I wish I knew more about how each drive fails instead of just seeing
read errors and without having to send it off to have it diagnosed.
Then I would have more information. For all I know, its because they
are trying to pack so much more on a drive that there is very little
tolerance for error. If the drive isn't perfect out the door, it won't
last 5 years.

Its almost like clockwork on a server that good drives only last 5
years. Its also a wear thing not a time thing. I've been able to boot
up old Macs with IDE drives from the 80s 15 years later after they were
built so its not bit rot that is doing it.


On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 12:31:32AM GMT, Scott Blaydes [sblaydes@sbce.org] said the following:
>
> Three months is a high duty cycle for Western Digital. </me ducks>. Not
> being dead out of the box is a new feature for them. I know, I know,
> there is always someone who has had what ever brand fail while the next
> geek swears by that brand. Course I was luck enough to have my IBM 60g
> Deathstar..err Deskstar drive not fail me before 3 years of service.
> For server stuff I still swear by SCSI...but I am open-minded about SATA.
>
> Scott Blaydes
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>

--
Mark Krenz
Bloomington Linux Users Group
http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: