Friday, September 14, 2007

Re: [BLUG] C/C++

Thank you to all who have offered suggestions!

I'll admit there's a part of me that began thinking "Maybe I should
just drop this class, and take up needlepoint instead." but I'm over
it now.

My first baby-homework project appears to run properly; that's a plus.
I think my issue with doing all this with Visual Studio (only) is the
whole "Step 8, click the magic button" aspect of it. I'm not real good
with rote memorization for tasks--I need to understand what I'm doing
and why.

And, for over a year now, I've suspected that, sooner or later, my
irrational fear of command line text editors was going to bite me in
the butt. It appears I was right.

I'm outta here tonight for a trial in Dayton (just Jett, not Xen this
weekend) and will put some time into this whole thing next week.

Thanks!

Ana

On 9/13/07, Michel Salim <msalim@indiana.edu> wrote:
> On 13/09/2007, Mark Krenz <mark@slugbug.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 02:54:25PM GMT, Michel Salim [msalim@indiana.edu] said the following:
> > >
> > > Not sure it's a good idea to learn a language, an editor *and* a build
> > > system all at once!
> > >
> >
> > As opposed to what? Learning Visual studio? Which is a language an
> > editor and a build system? I guess I don't see your point. The
> > difference is that if she learns vi or emacs, she can carry those skills
> > with her other places.
> >
> I guess you don't see my point indeed. Nowhere did I say I endorse
> Visual Studio as a good IDE (it did not even have refactoring support
> until, what, 2005?). But if Ana is going to have to use it anyway for
> her classes, I don't see why she shouldn't use an IDE that's close in
> ease-of-learning.
>
> Plus, there are things about the standard GNU toolchains, especially
> the build tools (autoconf/automake) that are quite intimidating (and
> at the same time, mundane) at first. KDevelop will generate automake
> and autoconf scripts for you:
>
> http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdevelop/kdevelop/makesystems.html#automake-project
>
> I like using traditional editors too, but I recognise that a modern
> IDE has its place: Vi(m)/Emacs for languages and tools you are already
> familiar with, KDevelop/Eclipse/etc. for either large projects or for
> languages you are still learning (before someone says "Vi/Emacs can do
> that too!", let me ask if either has Javadoc / Ndoc support)
>
> --
> Michel
>
> --
> Michel
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: