Friday, September 14, 2007

Re: [BLUG] C/C++

Ana,

I'm co-teaching classes in Python and Java as I myself am co-learning
my way around them with the students. (I'm still not sure whether it's
a help or hindrance to be learning two languages at the same time, but
I do definitely prefer Python so far...)

For Python I have mostly been using the IDLE IDE (which is
specifically for Python), because basically it works like a decent
text editor with highlighting and auto-tabbing that lets you hit F5 to
run your program (though there's a glitch in that it doesn't focus on
the newly running program windows, ick).

Got a tic-tac-toe program with an unbeatable computer player put
together in a day — incidentally, it's not fun to play against an
unbeatable computer player, but it was kind of fun to program it. My
next challenge on that, if I don't get distracted with something else,
is to try to see if I can get it to recognize a stalemate game before
all 9 moves are up.

For Java, although we're using Eclipse for the class, I'm using a
Gedit window (syntax highlighting, but otherwise no frills) and a
gnome-terminal window with a custom bash script (javac $1.java && java
$1) as my IDE.

I've not had the patience to write a Java program that does anything
"useful" yet. Honestly, if I didn't have to learn it to teach my
class, I'd probably drop Java and concentrate on Python.

It's amazing how geeky my studying is these days, I can't really talk
to anyone but my boss and my fellow LUG/LoCo people about it. Java...
Python... and I'm studying to take my LPI 101 exam at the Ohio
LinuxFest this year. (And, oh, yeah, I'll also need to get over my
command-line text editor block, cause vi(m) is on the exam. Hoorah!
:-) )

I'll be co-teaching a C programming class next semester, but the Java
will live on in the form of our AP Computer class.

Simón

P.S. C-pound? C-sharp? C-plusplusplusplus?

On 9/12/07, Pawsitive Results <pawsitiveresults@gmail.com> wrote:
> As some of you know, I'm taking the beginning C/C++/C# class at Ivy
> Tech this semester, in which we're using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005.
>
> What tool/tools would you suggest I start with, to follow along on the
> Linux side? I suspect I'll learn better, if I'm more able to mentally
> separate the task from the tools (if that makes sense).
>
> Bear in mind this is my first venture into any kind of programming
> whatsoever. (Unless you count BASIC on a TRS-80 Model III, back in
> high school.) So simpler, more basic tools probably make the most
> sense.
>
> Ana

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: