Saturday, September 1, 2007

Re: [BLUG] operation: computer upgrade (Xen)

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 04:51:26PM GMT, Joe Auty [joe@netmusician.org] said the following:
> I want this machine to run Linux, but also run FreeBSD and Windows in
> parallel via Xen. I intend to install a processor/motherboard supporting
> either Pacifica or XT (I'll need to ensure that this can be enabled
> within the bios as well).

You mean VT, not XT. If you want XT, I have a 25 year old computer to
sell you. ;-)

> Xen questions:
>
> - What does the client/face of Xen look like? Could I run a Windows game
> full screen at native speeds, and control the game via Synergy? Or, does
> Xen only run within a window and expect that you will access this
> environment via RDP/VNC/SSH?

Heh, this was one of the first questions I had before installing Xen.
Xen works more as a server behind the scenes. You don't really see
anything. Its like booting Linux except you use a Xen compatible
kernel. Then you connect to the consoles of the virtual machines. Your
dom0 or the host domain can run X windows and then you can use vnc to
connect graphically to the domUs or guest domains. In my case, I only
have used Xen on servers so far so all I need is to use ssh or if I want
to see the console use "xm console machinename" in a terminal window.

Synergy isn't necessary although it will be interesting once synergy
becomes a full software KVM instead of just a KM. THe developer says he
is working on that. Then perhaps you will be able to move your mouse to
the edge of the screen and it will "switch the screen to your Windows,
Linux or other VMs, etc. But that might be a few years off.

> - What sort of CPU resources does Xen consume with doing something
> intense such as running a game? Would the stuff going on in the
> background interfere with game play or vice versa?

I don't think you're going to be able to run OpenGL or graphics card
accellerated games yet in the VMs and maybe not even in the dom0 when
you are using Xen. It was listed as a todo item for Xen 4 or 5. I
forget which. But its not there yet.

> - What sort of interface is there for toggling between virtualized
> environments, other than some sort of VNC/SSH type thing? Like I've
> explained above, I'll need direct access to Windows for game playing,
> although FreeBSD can be accessed via SSH/VNC

Not feasible. Again, I think that a lot of people heard myths that
Xen was going to be able to do some things that something like VMware
can't or whatever and it can't do those things yet as far as I know.

> - How stable is the sort of setup I'm describing? Is it safe to count on
> this functionality, or am I really pushing the envelope here?

Xen overall is pretty stable. I'm running several virtual servers on
a few different physical machines and have had no problems as of yet.

> For those that care, this machine will be used to do the following:
> - Development FreeBSD machine
> - print server (via Linux)
> - file/backup server (via Linux, I may be asking questions about
> migrating my data from a UFS to ext3 partition)
> - MythTV server (running under Linux)
> - Test web/email/database/etc. server running under FreeBSD
> - Windows via Xen for games and testing stuff in IE
> - Possibly security camera stuff
> - iTunes server (daapd)
> - Two drives mirrored via software RAID-1, another scratch drive for
> non-essential data

I think you're expecting to be able to do too much with it right now.
Some of those things require that Xen virtual machines have direct
access to certain hardware and I don't think its going to work. Maybe,
but yes, you would be pushing the envelope hard.

Honestly, I don't use Xen for desktop virtualization, I use VMWare 6.0
because it is more built around being a desktop virtualation platform.
Xen is more for servers as far as I'm concerned.

When I did my presentation on it at IU Linux Fest 2005, the impression
I got from the audience was that most people where interested in its use
for desktop platforms where as I was interested in it from a server
platform.


--
Mark Krenz
Bloomington Linux Users Group
http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: