Saturday, September 1, 2007

Re: [BLUG] operation: computer upgrade (Xen)

Mark Krenz wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 05:59:09PM GMT, Joe Auty [joe@netmusician.org] said the following:
>> Ahhh, so I guess this spoils my preconceptions and very tentative plans.
>> I can see that Xen is a much different beast than VMWare. How far is
>> VMWare away from offering full virtualization (i.e. direct access to the
>> hardware for things such as game playing)?
>>
>
> VMWare Workstation. VMWare is no longer just one product. In fact,
> they don't seem to push workstation much anymore. Their product that is
> meant to compete with Xen is called ESX.
>
> VMWare Workstation emulates hardware that ends up being called things
> like "VMWare branded disk drive", etc. I think they've made some
> strides in 6.0 with getting better 3D support, but I haven't really
> tested it. You should probably just read through their features and ask
> on the forums.
>
>

Oddly enough, according to this Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware


VMWare Fusion seems to be the furthest along in terms of 3D support, and
it is OS X only...

If nobody cares about other bits and pieces of info I find regarding
these options, I'll stop posting about this to the list. I certainly
don't mean to annoy...

--
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: