Friday, September 7, 2007

Re: [BLUG] RE: Evolution

Last time I looked at Evolution it contacted Exchange using Outlook
Web Access and did not support MAPI calls. HTTPS in general isn't a
slow protocol, but the OWA conversation is pokey.

If it is using OWA it probably has the same problem that people
complain about with Entourage on the Mac. It only checks for new mail
every 10-15 minutes, and checking is really slow because it is
effectively screen scraping the OWA interface rather than using an
efficient API.

There's a beta OpenChange plugin for Evolution that appears to give it
some native MAPI support:

http://www.openchange.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=65&Itemid=74

I've not tried it but it looks promising.

---
Andrew Poland <ajpoland@iupui.edu>
Principal Developer
UITS Course Management Systems
Indiana University
(317) 274-0746


On Sep 7, 2007, at 11:35 AM, Gaddis, Jeremy L. wrote:

> Steven Black wrote:
>> Uh... I manage better with the Outlook meeting integration I
>> hacked together myself (in to mutt) than I was managing with
>> Evolution.
>>
>> Evolution had a problem properly supporting DST, so all of my
>> meetings would show up an hour off.
>
> Is Evolution slower than hell for anyone else (w/ the Exchange
> connector), or is it just me? Every few months I decide to set it up
> again, only to find that it's still slower than molasses.
>
> I've monitored the server when I'm doing it and the server isn't
> under a
> high load. The disks are plenty fast enough. My desktop is connected
> to the LAN at 1 Gb/s and so is the server, so it's not the network...
>
> Unless it's because it's basically using HTTP(S) for everything, I
> have
> no idea why it's so slooooooooooooow...
>
>
> --
> Jeremy L. Gaddis
> Network Administrator
> Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana
> 812.330.6156 (w) 812.330.6212 (f)
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: