Monday, October 8, 2007

[BLUG] NOV meeting topic

So I and a few others were at the Ohio Linux Conference. While
I was there, I talked to some folks from Foresight Linux:

http://www.foresightlinux.org/

It looks like a really interesting distribution, particularly
for folks that like GNOME, as their release schedule closely
follows that of GNOME. (As in, their users have the next
version of GNOME before it hits the official GNOME servers.)

It also has some interesting features for folks that like the
bleeding edge. The package management system appears to integrate
features more commonly found in version control systems -- to
the point that configuration file changes are merged in, instead
of over-writing the whole file. Additionally the system supports
package roll-back back to the point of the initial installation.

In any case, I think it sounds like an interesting distribution
that many people may be interested in hearing about. Unfortunately,
I don't have the time to play with it. However, I thought I'd
mention it for the November meeting. Someone else may be equally
interested, and if they're going to check it out, they may as well
share with us what their thoughts and feelings are.

Cheers,
Steven Black

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: