Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Re: [BLUG] considering a job in computers

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 01:10:19PM -0400, Mark Warner wrote:
> No offense taken. I know I'm a grunt. Nevertheless, people pay good
> money for grunt work. How much does your auto mechanic charge? Does he
> have a BS in automotive engineering? :-)

Heh. Personally, I have a service technician come out and take care of
my servers when it might involve anything I'm not familiar with in the
case. I'll swap a hard drive easily enough, and if it is hot-pluggable
I'll do pretty much anything. If it's a 1U case and I've little idea how
it is setup or configured, I'd much rather have someone who may have
dealt with it before take a look at it. It's in my support contract, so
there's no reason for me to stress with it.

The HP techs I've dealt with recently have all been based in Indy. Even
the ones that used to be based in B-ton relocated further north where
there's more work.

> Providing good service at a fair price is honorable work, no matter what
> the field. That goes for plumbers, delivery drivers, waiters, and hod
> carriers, in addition to computer-fixers. I have a small but loyal
> number of clients that rely on me for their computer support. I charge
> them a fair price and provide them blue ribbon service, within my
> limitations. I'm just not in a position to strike out on my own.

My father had a little computer shop in a small town for a year or
so. I worked for him there some. We went so far as to even do one-off
short-order software contracts. (We had someone come in once and ask how
much it would cost for a program to test keyboards in 3 days.) It just
didn't get enough business in the end, and we had to close shop.

Cheers,
Steven Black

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: