Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Re: [BLUG] considering a job in computers

Pawsitive Results wrote:
> Just FWIW, what worked for me was getting a job with a small business
> who had traditionally outsourced all things IT. I hired in an unrelated
> position (bookkeeping, specifically). Gradually, my "Oh, that's not a
> big deal; I can fix that!" translated into the powers that be realizing,
> "Hey, we'd be money ahead if we hired a new bookkeeper, and let Ana
> handle the computers (and marketing, which had fallen to me in about the
> same way.) They were well aware that I wasn't really-truly qualified,
> but with a good sense of when to give up and yell for help, that kind of
> on-the-job training can add up to some good skills and solid experience.

Actually, that's kinda where I'm at now. I was hired in as a
buyer/purchasing coordinator. Their workstations were a mess. First
thing I did was blow mine up and rebuild it from scratch. Soon enough, I
was doing all the tech stuff that they had normally outsourced.
Unfortunately, we're a real small outfit, so that doesn't amount to
anything close to full time work. It's just another entry on the "Mark
can do that list". I don't mind -- it gives me a break from the normal
routine, and I'm given non-monetary consideration for doing it.

--
Mark Warner
SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
Registered Linux User #415318


_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: