Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Re: [BLUG] considering a job in computers

Steven Black wrote:
> Mark Warner wrote:
>> I'm a middle aged working class hero that got "into" computers about ten
>> years ago. (I'd been using them in the workplace since the early
>> eighties, but considered them 'magic boxes'.) I'm totally self taught,
>> with no credentials and no tech-related work history.
>
> Mark, part of the problem here may be that when it comes to grunt labor
> fixing computers (particularly Windows computers) there are a number of
> clear certifications that they look for. If you really want to repair
> computers, you should probably look in to getting A+ certified.

I know, I know...

> I mean no offense when I say "grunt labor", but it is actually how many
> manufacturers have seen the issue. I knew a fellow in the late 90's
> that repaired computers for a number of manufacturers. Depending on the
> problem a different component would be replaced. There was none of the
> elegance or thought required to replace either the right part or to
> preserve the user's data. The first thing replaced was generally the
> hard drive, and that without informing the owner. He didn't like it, but
> that was all the manufacturers were paying for. If he did anything else,
> he'd be doing it for free. They either had backups, or they knew their
> error and would have backups in the future.

No offense taken. I know I'm a grunt. Nevertheless, people pay good
money for grunt work. How much does your auto mechanic charge? Does he
have a BS in automotive engineering? :-)

Providing good service at a fair price is honorable work, no matter what
the field. That goes for plumbers, delivery drivers, waiters, and hod
carriers, in addition to computer-fixers. I have a small but loyal
number of clients that rely on me for their computer support. I charge
them a fair price and provide them blue ribbon service, within my
limitations. I'm just not in a position to strike out on my own.

The best fit for me and my skill set would be in a large organization
that supports a lot of desktops, or in a retail repair shop. In either
case, I've not had any luck getting my foot in the door for even as much
as a discussion or interview. Not surprising in this town, but it is
discouraging.

--
Mark Warner
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: