Wednesday, September 3, 2008

[BLUG] Certain XP machines won't connect to Samba share

A while back I set up a MEPIS 7 (essentially Debian Etch) machine as a
shared file server on my workplace network. Just a place to store and
share files. Simple setup -- created a large partition, linked it to the
Shared directory in /home, and plugged it in to the network. Works
great. Everybody has full read/write, and it makes a good central
repository. Except...

Of the sixteen or so workstations, two can't hook up to it. They are
both XP Pro machines. The share isn't detected automagically in Network
Places, and typing in the share path directly results in a permissions
error. It's been this way for since I set this up, and I've not been
able to figure it out. Then I realized something: I believe these are
the only two machines that have a passworded user logon. All the others
are blank passwords. That kinda/sorta makes sense, based on what I'm
seeing when I try to connect to the share.

My problem is I don't know where to go from here. Don't know if there's
anything I can change on the server, or if there's something I can
change on the individual machines. Any help/pointers/handholding
appreciated. Understand that I'm a barely competent Linux *user*, not an
administrator by any means. If you have any suggestions, talk baby talk
to me.

--
Mark Warner
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: