Friday, September 12, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Multiple Users

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 14:14 -0400, Barry Schatz wrote:
> I didn't notice the other replies in my inbox until after I sent mine.
> You can disregard my previous message.
>
> I've had my head in PuTTY all day, so I was thinking of what would
> happen to a job in an interrupted ssh session. My first thought was
> running a job in screen and forgetting to detach.

I don't think anything "big" happens to processes during fast user
switch. It looks like a new X server (on console 10, as display :1) is
started and processes using "console devices" such as Amarok are
disconnected from the actual output...i.e. Amarok got quiet but
continued to feed data to PulseAudio.


> I wanted to get more
> specifics before trying to help.

In his case, yeah, that's a good idea. I just didn't see the reason for
why the processes would need to stop if you didn't log out. Or just use
nohup if you _do_ need to log out :)


> The difference between theory and practice? In theory, there is no
> difference, but in practice there is.
>

:) obviously


> -Barry
>
> Brian Wheeler wrote:
> > I missed the beginning of this thread, so if I'm totally off base, then
> > ignore me.
> >
> > I did a fast user switch from gnome and while my audio did stop, all of
> > the other processes running doing network things continued as normal.
> >
> > Why would normal processes stop "in theory" when switching users?
> > That's what a multiuser system is for :)
> >
> > Brian
> >
> > On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 13:48 -0400, Barry Schatz wrote:
> >
> >> In theory no, in practice maybe. how are you logged in for each user and
> >> how are you switching users?
> >>
> >> Steve Beckley wrote:
> >>
> >>> If I have something downloading as one user, if I switch users without
> >>> logging out will that data continue to download on the other user account?
> >>>
> >>> -Steve B.
> >>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>>
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> BLUG mailing list
> >>> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> >>> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
> >>>
> >>>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> BLUG mailing list
> >> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> >> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
> >>
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > BLUG mailing list
> > BLUG@linuxfan.com
> > http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: