Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Linux LanParty/Linux Fest

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 01:26:36PM -0500, Barry Schatz wrote:
> I'm in. The 18th (or earlier) would work best for me. I have both a
> laptop and a desktop I could bring,
>
> What games do you have in mind? I can suggest a few:
>
> Nexuiz (think Unreal Tournament, but faster)
> Cube
> Frozen Bubble (network play)
> BZFlag
> Various games that work under WINE (Unreal, StarCraft...)
>
> Any others?

I need to talk to my wife to see if this'll be workable for me.
April singles the end of RSV season, and we're planning a party
with our baby.

I recommend that for a Linux-related LAN party we focus on open source
games. Since I only play open source games at this point (when I have
the time to play games) I wouldn't have the license to play something
that uses WINE. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat.

I'm one of those people that (1) never bothered to learn how to use WINE
as I don't use any Windows apps, and (2) don't bother with GL-supported
video cards as I don't play OpenGL-based games.

--
Steven Black <blacks@indiana.edu> / KeyID: 8596FA8E
Fingerprint: 108C 089C EFA4 832C BF07 78C2 DE71 5433 8596 FA8E

No comments: