Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Re: [BLUG] opera unite

I can see where, especially on a phone, a more closed system is much better for security.  Perhaps what I really dislike are phone companies and cell phone plans in general.  Much to the chagrin of all of my friends, I still don't have texting enabled on my phone.  I just can't see a reason to pay extra money per month to send text messages.  I don't have a data plan either, but what gets me is that you can purchase a data plan, but you also must purchase a texting plan separately.  Cell phones really seem to heading towards always net connected hand held devices that happen to do traditional voice calls.  I would love to have my ipod touch be able to be net connected like an iphone, but without a 2 year contract and only a data plan.  I can purchase a phone plan to have a phone, but I really don't mind having a seperate device for everything else.  A device that can be more open if I choose that isn't as critical security wise as a traditional cell phone.  I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I wish there were more choices all around. 

Also, if they wanted, couldn't Apple allow 3rd party apps in some fashion, but where it warns the user that installing an unofficial program may do damage to their phone?  Or maybe I should get an android phone and support the competition. . .

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Mark Warner <markwarner1954@att.net> wrote:


Joe Auty wrote:

If it has taken years for the public to instill some generally secure computing practices on Joe sixpack,

When did that happen? IMO, the only things that have changed in recent years are the ISPs pushing out anti-malware apps at little or no cost (replacing the four year old Norton and McAfee trial version installs that came with the eMachine from Wal*Mart), Microsoft pushing out its Malicious Software Removal Tool on the second Tuesday of every month, and SP3 setting Windows updates to the defaults. Joe Sixpack remains clueless from a security standpoint.


I think that unfortunately this is simply a product of the fact that people are generally morons, and as a consequence we all suffer. Sorry to be so dark sounding, but it seems appropriate here :)

People view their computers like appliances or cars. They might know how to operate them, but they have no idea how they work. When cars act up they take them to a mechanic. It's rare anymore that an owner even changes his own oil. With most appliances, when they break, they're pitched. And with computers, they holler at guys like me. I'm a lowly computer mechanic. Not very glamorous, but I perform a needed service at a fair price -- just like the local greasemonkey.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
Registered Linux User #415318




_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: