Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Re: [BLUG] opera unite

Ben Shewmaker wrote:
> I can see where, especially on a phone, a more closed system is much
> better for security. Perhaps what I really dislike are phone companies
> and cell phone plans in general. Much to the chagrin of all of my
> friends, I still don't have texting enabled on my phone. I just can't
> see a reason to pay extra money per month to send text messages. I
> don't have a data plan either, but what gets me is that you can purchase
> a data plan, but you also must purchase a texting plan separately. Cell
> phones really seem to heading towards always net connected hand held
> devices that happen to do traditional voice calls. I would love to have
> my ipod touch be able to be net connected like an iphone, but without a
> 2 year contract and only a data plan. I can purchase a phone plan to
> have a phone, but I really don't mind having a seperate device for
> everything else. A device that can be more open if I choose that isn't
> as critical security wise as a traditional cell phone. I'm sure I'm in
> the minority here, but I wish there were more choices all around.
>
> Also, if they wanted, couldn't Apple allow 3rd party apps in some
> fashion, but where it warns the user that installing an unofficial
> program may do damage to their phone? Or maybe I should get an android
> phone and support the competition. . .
>

There are all sorts of third party applications that are available from
the iTunes app store. Do you mean third party apps from sources other
than the app store?

I hear you on your dislike of phone companies and cell phone plans, I'm
not big on them myself.


> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Mark Warner <markwarner1954@att.net
> <mailto:markwarner1954@att.net>> wrote:
>
>
>
> Joe Auty wrote:
>
> If it has taken years for the public to instill some generally
> secure computing practices on Joe sixpack,
>
>
> When did that happen? IMO, the only things that have changed in
> recent years are the ISPs pushing out anti-malware apps at little or
> no cost (replacing the four year old Norton and McAfee trial version
> installs that came with the eMachine from Wal*Mart), Microsoft
> pushing out its Malicious Software Removal Tool on the second
> Tuesday of every month, and SP3 setting Windows updates to the
> defaults. Joe Sixpack remains clueless from a security standpoint.
>
>
> I think that unfortunately this is simply a product of the fact
> that people are generally morons, and as a consequence we all
> suffer. Sorry to be so dark sounding, but it seems appropriate
> here :)
>
>
> People view their computers like appliances or cars. They might know
> how to operate them, but they have no idea how they work. When cars
> act up they take them to a mechanic. It's rare anymore that an owner
> even changes his own oil. With most appliances, when they break,
> they're pitched. And with computers, they holler at guys like me.
> I'm a lowly computer mechanic. Not very glamorous, but I perform a
> needed service at a fair price -- just like the local greasemonkey.
>
> --
> Mark Warner
> MEPIS Linux
> Registered Linux User #415318
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com <mailto:BLUG@linuxfan.com>
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug


--
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: