Monday, July 6, 2009

Re: [BLUG] suso.org logo on the www.bloomingtonlinux.org website

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 09:56:21PM GMT, Williams, Jeffery Allen [jefjewil@indiana.edu] said the following:
> I noticed the "Hosted by Suso.org" icon at the bottom of the http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/ webpage. Isn't suso.org providing the web space as well? I ask because, to me "Hosted" implies good but impartial. That is, we like the service of suso.org now, but we chose them because they had the best banner ad at launch. I suspect that suso.org is really our benefactor. Shouldn't that credit be displayed in the little logo at the bottom? Shouldn't it say something like "Web space donated by suso.org", not just "hosted"? That way we can say, "We like the service of suso.org and they have a heart too."
>

Thanks Jeffery. What it comes down to is that we started Suso as a
real business a few months before I started up the BLUG meetings again in
2004 and also bought bloomingtonlinux.org. To me, it doesn't really
matter, the banner is just a way of us trading a little bit of
advertising for free web space and whatever. I always felt that I
should try to keep them mostly seperate, unless it makes sense to talk
about it. I even configured my .muttrc so that when I post to the list,
it uses my other e-mail address, not my Suso one.

Actually, I've thought a few times that it might be neat to have a
BLUG presentation on how a web hosting provider works or something like
that and use Suso as the example. But that should be up to other people
to decide if we'd want that or not. We once had another meeting where a
business presented and it turned more into a sales pitch and left a
bitter taste in everyone's mouth.

--
Mark Krenz
Bloomington Linux Users Group
http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: