Monday, November 9, 2009

Re: [BLUG] newbee

Mark,

It sounds like you're basically doing Linux From Scratch
<http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/> except using Debian as the earliest
stage, and without using a handbook. -- Is that right?

I've done the Linux From Scratch thing, and I did a bit of the "Beyond
Linux From Scratch" stuff. It is useful for a learning experience, but I
wouldn't recommend you attempt it on a machine you actually need to use
on a regular basis. :)

Cheers,
Steven Black

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 01:49:23PM -0500, Mark Warner wrote:
> I long ago settled on MEPIS (Lenny based, KDE 3.5.10, tweaked and
> massaged to my liking). That said, one of the best learning experiences
> I've ever had -- and one that has made me appreciate the work that the
> distro maintainers do all the more -- is to take a Debian netinstall,
> UNcheck everything and start out with a totally stripped-down CLI
> install, and build it up from scratch. I've gone through the exercise on
> three or four occasions, with varying degrees of success. On one of the
> attempts some time back, I ended up with a very workable Etch KDE
> desktop, that would do most anything I asked of it. Later attempts with
> Lenny on my laptop haven't been so satisfying. <g>
>
> --
> Mark Warner

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: