Thursday, November 5, 2009

Re: [BLUG] [OT] Software for Ivy Tech students

I dual-boot Win7 x64 and WinXP x86 at work. The machine is 2.1 GHz/2GB
and performs about the same for both. I frequently have Visual Studio,
FireFox, SQL Management Studio, and a developemnt instance of IIS (a
slower, bloated, license-restricted webserver) all running at the same
time without major issues.

One thing I have to note is that I set the style on both OSes to look
and behave like Win2K and I don't have a desktop background (makes it
easier to work remotely). I have to mention that most of the UAC
annoyances aren't really MS's fault. Many applications still require
admin privileges to run even if they don't need it and the best Windows
can do is ask the user. The situation is improving rapidly as MS copies
ideas from open-source projects.

-Barry

Schlemmer, Jared wrote:
> According to the reviews I've read, 7 is suppose to run on less
> resources than Vista, although I only have about 2 months experience
> with Vista before I took it off my machine, and no experience with 7.
>
> I have an old lap top at home running Ubuntu 9.10. It's a 2.2g Celeron
> with 512m RAM. It appears to me to be the processor that keeps me modest
> with my processes. When I look at my system monitor, even with a few
> apps up, I'm usually right around 250m RAM, but my CPU shoots up to 100%
> every few seconds.
>
> I was running XP on this machine before until I installed Ubuntu about 4
> months ago, and Ubuntu is much more usable, as long as I keep things
> modest with a word processor and 1 or 2 instances of Firefox running.
>
> I also tried using WINE and I did not have much luck with it.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Ernst [mailto:david.ernst@davidernst.net]
> Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 3:58 PM
> To: Bloomington LINUX Users Group
> Subject: Re: [BLUG] [OT] Software for Ivy Tech students
>
> Wow, interesting. I've got an oldish machine that had ~770M RAM in
> it, and I got very poor performance running Windows Vista. I added
> another 1G stick of RAM, and now it runs great.
>
> Could it possibly be that Windows 7 makes more efficient use of memory
> than Windows Vista?? It defies all precedent, there must be some
> other explanation.
>
> David
>
>
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 03:50:08PM -0500, Kirk Gleason wrote:
>
>> I am running a windows 7 machines with 512MB of ram that performs like
>> a champ. I don't do a ton with it, but it performs like a champ when I
>> need it too.
>>
>> *SNIP*
>>

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: