Friday, December 18, 2009

Re: [BLUG] power off CD?

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 12:28:31PM +0000, Mark Krenz wrote:
> You say "powers down", you mean the computers power turns off right,
>not Ubuntu goes through the whole shutdown sequence?

Correct. Like I said, it's as if the utility power went out (with no
UPS, internal battery, etc).

> That's an interesting problem, could it be that you've hit the maximum
>power your power supply can handle? Maybe the CD was unreadable by
>Linux and it spun the drive faster drawing more power? What type of
>files are in the CD and how big are they?

The power draw question is an interesting one, but it seems unlikely.
I could easily test that with another CD. But, of course, although I
don't use the drive that often, I do use it SOMETIMES and nothing like
this has ever happened before. But, yeah, the power supply is less
than a year old, and I think it's just spinning two hard drives... I
don't have much hardware in this machine.

The files are probably large jpegs but I don't actually know that.
there were a couple of plain text files and an mp3 or two. There is
an autorun, I was wondering if Ubuntu was trying to get fancy and do
something with the autorun and that's what caused the problem.

> Searching for inserting cd shuts off computer on google yeilds a
>surprising number of results, but they are all windows problems, which
>isn't surprising.

Wow, that is surprising. I foolishly including "linux" in my search
when I did this.

*shrug* Like I said, no solution is necessary, but I found it
curious. Thanks for your thoughts, Mark!

David


>On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 06:11:29AM GMT, David Ernst [david.ernst@davidernst.net] said the following:
>> So, my wife Priscilla makes a copy of a data CD. Some friends are in
>> the psychology dept at IU, and she volunteered for an experiment and
>> ended up with some kind of imaging info of her brain. I don't think
>> that's important to the story, but maybe. Anyway, she drags a couple
>> of extra files onto the disk in Windows (Vista), and it's ready to
>> give to her friend. She said to me "can you put this in you computer
>> and make sure that it works?" Sure.
>>
>> So, we put the CD into the CD drive of my Ubuntu (Jaunty)
>> machine... it spins up, and ... my computer turns off. power off. As
>> if our power had gone out, but it hadn't.
>>
>> I turned the computer back on, it started booting, got about half way
>> through the progress meter (before the login prompt) and... same
>> thing. Power off.
>>
>> I turn the computer back on, remove the CD, and the computer boots
>> normally. With no applications running besides the core and the GUI,
>> I insert the CD again. It spins up, and the computer powers down
>> again.
>>
>> I'm convinced, so I won't try it again. She takes the CD back
>> to her computer, and that computer reads it just fine.
>>
>> We really don't need to solve this problem, but I'm curious if anyone
>> has any thoughts on what's going on here. I wouldn't know how to make
>> such a CD if I wanted that functionality.... Strange that it might
>> somehow happen inadvertantly...
>>
>> David
>> _______________________________________________
>> BLUG mailing list
>> BLUG@linuxfan.com
>> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>>
>
>--
>Mark Krenz
>Bloomington Linux Users Group
>http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
>_______________________________________________
>BLUG mailing list
>BLUG@linuxfan.com
>http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Author bloomingtonlinux.blogspot.com !
You are mistaken. I can prove it. Write to me in PM, we will talk.