Friday, December 18, 2009

Re: [BLUG] power off CD?

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, David Ernst wrote:

> So, my wife Priscilla makes a copy of a data CD. Some friends
> are in the psychology dept at IU, and she volunteered for an
> experiment and ended up with some kind of imaging info of her
> brain. I don't think that's important to the story, but maybe.
> Anyway, she drags a couple of extra files onto the disk in
> Windows (Vista), and it's ready to give to her friend. She
> said to me "can you put this in you computer and make sure that
> it works?" Sure. [....]

Would the psych department be doing scans using medical
imaging?

I have CDs/DVDs of some scans made at local hospitals --
MRIs and I disremember what else -- which I haven't managed to
display with Fedora. They don't harm any machine I've tried them
on, just fail to display imagery.

Anyway, I asked on Novalug some months back. Before the
discussion got way beyond any savvy I'll ever have, I discovered
that there are now some (apparently very fancy) formats
specifically for medical imagery. I did not then hear of an app
that would "just work" for a home linux user; dunno what chance
any has appeared since. But the discussions might tell youss
guyss a lot more than they did me.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Erstwhile Historian of Tongues
Sclerotic Squirreler, Double Retiree, Linux Evangelist
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: