Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Re: [BLUG] What size terminal do you use?

I use ROXTerm at 80x24, just because that size doesn't seem too big or
too small. I use a smallish font so it doesn't take up too much space
on my netbook screen--less than ⅔ of both the horizontal and vertical
space. I also use a gtk theme with very short tabs to save on screen
real estate.

ROXTerm is based on gnome-terminal (so's also a familiar-feeling
tabbed gtk2 terminal), but seems to be faster and has much better
options for configuration (and also a couple bugs). It's also
designed to go with other ROX software, such as ROX filer and ROX's
session manager, both of which I use.

--
Jonathan

2009/12/30 Steven Black <blacks@indiana.edu>:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 02:52:52PM +0000, Mark Krenz wrote:
>>   Quick poll. If you use some specific size for your terminal (xterm,
>> aterm, gnome-terminal, konsole, etc.), what size do you use and why?
>> Also, curious about what terminal you use specifically these days.
>
> I currently use Konsole.
>
> I have the ncurses-term package installed, so my TERM is set to
> "konsole". I like well defined terminal characteristics, so I don't
> like terminals to use 'xterm' unless they're 100% xterm compatible.
> Neither gnome-terminal nor konsole is 100% compatible. (To be 100%
> compatible you need (1) Tektronix mode, and (2) to fail under the same
> circumstances as xterm.) Additionally, using the stock 'xterm' requires
> that apps either ignore the terminfo characteristics or are limited to
> 16 colors. A proper terminfo would list whether you support extended
> colors like xterm-256 or xterm-88.
>
> I enjoy roguelike games, and poorly defined terminals are the bane of
> nice roguelike games.
>
> In the office, I use terminals that are 24/25 rows, and either 80
> columns or a little more to fill. (10 pt. font, usually two windows at
> the bottom of the screen, with a browser and IRC/IM/etc client filling
> the upper half of that monitor)
>
> At home, where the light is more variable and the distance to the laptop
> tends to also be more variable than my seating at work, I have settings
> which are designed to be gentle on my eyes: Monospace font at 14 pt,
> between 80 and about 94 columns (I rarely maximize the width), and it is
> usually maximized vertically giving me 37 rows.
>
> I also leverage custom color sets, due to my inability to easily read
> dark blue on black (which always seems painfully popular in color
> apps). I use custom dark-background colors, and a custom inverted
> color set. The inverted color set is easier on my eyes in low-power
> settings on my laptop, (I can read it with the display set to dimmest
> with plenty of ambient light), and is specifically designed so that I
> can continue using apps which become illegible if you simply swap the
> default foreground/background colors.
>
> Back in my youth, I'd use SVGATextMode to get Linux consoles in hi-res
> text modes. These days I figure if I'm not kind on my eyes early,
> they'll only give me more trouble later.
>
> While working, I use tabs and more than one terminal emulator, but when
> I'm off-work I'm 100% GNU Screen with a single terminal emulator.
>
> Cheers,
> Steven Black
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: