Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Re: [BLUG] help desperately needed for wireless on Debian

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Loren Serfass
<lorenserfass331@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>     Right, I have a CD with windows drivers on it.

That's a plus. You know that CD should have the correct firmware on it.

> The website you
> sent refers to the bcm43xx-fwcutter program which "cuts" the firmware
> from the windows files.  I had been trying to use b43-fwcutter, which
> is supposed to do something similar.  The bcm43xx one is also
> available on synaptic, but I get an error message when I try to
> install it.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. It was my fault for Googling before
checking the link you mentioned. The link you mentioned appears to be
more current than the sites I mentioned.

> The ubuntu How To that you sent remarked that
> "...basically every 'no' vote and 'this didnt work for me' post comes
> from a BCM4318 user...."  That's my chipset.  It's strange, since the
> other websites I visited said that it should work.

I'm crossing my fingers that some of those people didn't get it to
work as they were trying to use the wrong firmware. Some companies
make firmware that will work on a wide set of their hardware. This,
however, may very well not be one of those cases.

The b43-cutter downloaded and installed the firmware, right? Try
cutting the firmware out of the drivers on the CD and seeing of that
firmware works better.

Once the firmware is in the correct spot in the filesystem, reboot the
PC. This way there won't be any possibility of the correct firmware
not loading because it already has the old/bogus firmware loaded. (If
the firmware files were the same, this is something that could be
silently ignored, so I wouldn't expect that to produce an error
condition when removing/reinstalling the kernel driver.)

>     Perhaps the problem is that I tried two different methods and
> they interfered with each other?

The two methods will definitely interfere with each other. Back out
the ndiswrapper stuff and stay away from it.
"ndiswrapper" is great -- when there isn't a native Linux driver. In
this case, there is a native Linux driver however getting the firmware
to work is a little off.

Cheers,
Steven Black

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: