Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Re: [BLUG] help desperately needed for wireless on Debian

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Mark Warner <mhwarner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Your experience is different than mine.

Maybe I have it backwards.

I really thought I used to have an wlan entry in
/etc/networks/interfaces and when my driver started using eth1 instead
I lost my wifi networking. (I had to create an interfaces file entry
for eth1.) Unfortunately that laptop is in the process of being
replaced, so I can't just check.

Of course, the wifi chipset in that laptop worked via the command-line
but none of the GUI tools saw it properly for several releases. I
think the device name changed to eth1 when the GUI stuff started
working. If I'm remembering it backwards, it would explain things if
the GUI tools were looking for 'wlan' devices by name...

In any case, the fact that any two drivers use the same device name is
a feature of Linux. In many UNIX-like environments the device names
are different for different drivers. It is possible (probably, even)
the change in device name only happened for my particular driver.
Fortunately there are good tools to tell you what names the system
sees in case it changes the names again...

Cheers,
Steven Black
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: