Thursday, March 31, 2011

Re: [BLUG] Evolution and IU's Exchange servers

Personally, if the web version doesn't work (it has gotten better --
the current version doesn't use a "Lite" version in Firefox) then your
best bet is to use RDP to a Windows machine or a Windows VM. Since you
only really need it for creating meetings, you don't need the VM
consuming resources most of the time.

The problem with a Windows VM is that it is almost impossible to get
anything other than XP to run without assigning most of your resources
to the VM. (And Windows XP is a bit on the old side, so may not be
available with security updates anymore.)

I actually had more luck with RDP than with a VM.

Cheers,
Steven Black

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Kelly McEvilly <kellym@wbhcp.com> wrote:
> I used the same Thunderbird/Lightning setup with my Zimbra mail server and
> it worked flawlessly for all calendaring functions.  Zimbra has their own
> mail client which I use now.
>
> The Zimbra Ajax web client also works perfectly for any type of
> calendaring.  I believe even the HTML client gives access to all
> calendaring.
>
> I swear I'm not bringing this up just to rub salt in the wounds of all the
> MS Exchange slaves...
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Chris Colvard" <cjcolvar@indiana.edu>
> To: blug@cs.indiana.edu
> Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:32:11 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
> Subject: Re: [BLUG] Evolution and IU's Exchange servers
>
> I've used Thunderbird and the Lightning plugin to add meeting requests to my
> local or google calendar.  Over time this has proven to be rather flaky, but
> has sort of worked.  I was not able to create any meetings in the Exchange
> server though.
>
> -Chris Colvard
>
>
> On 03/31/2011 12:17 PM, Williams, Jeffery Allen wrote:
>
> Is the web version of exchange unreasonable? <www.exchange.iu.edu>
> I never found a good solution. My work is so MS centric, I ended up making a
> winXP virtual machine.
> Jeffery Williams
> Software Engineer
> IU Cyclotron Operations
> --
> Warning! Sent from my Android phone.
>
> Brian Wheeler <bdwheele@indiana.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone gotten this to work, for calendaring in particular?
>>
>> I'm using imap to access mail on the exchange servers, but I really need
>> to get calendaring. Barring that, does anyone have a reasonable way
>> (outlook in a vm isn't reasonable) to deal with exchange calendaring?
>>
>> Brian
>> ________________________________
>> BLUG mailing list
>> BLUG@linuxfan.com
>> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>
>
> _______________________________________________ BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>
>

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: