Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Re: [BLUG] How many of you run home servers?

With all this talk of public-key authentication, I'm rethinking
leaving my server open to password authentication over ssh.

However, I still want to be able to open up putty from a public
machine somewhere and ssh to my server. Is there any way to allow
myself to do this short of memorising my public key or carrying it
around with me on flash drive or something?

--
Jonathan

On 20 July 2011 13:36, Jeremy L. Gaddis <jlgaddis@gnu.org> wrote:
> Ben Shewmaker <ben@shewbox.org> wrote:
>> I've been running a server on my home machine for some time now and
>> was just curious how many others out there do the same?  And I'm also
>> wondering about security of my home machine.  I'm running AjaxXplorer
>> on this machine to serve up some photos/videos from my home computer,
>> and, while it does us https, I wonder sometimes about how wise it in
>> terms of a security risk.  I also use Dyndns so I don't have to worry
>> about my changing IP and wonder if having a domain redirect from a
>> dyndns hostname makes me more of a target?  I like to imagine that
>> spyware and viruses on my windows machine are a much bigger threat
>> than someone trying to hack into my little ubuntu server machine, but
>> I thought I'd ask anyone out there if they have any opinions?
>
> As others have mentioned, if you have SSH open you'll likely be hit
> constantly by attempts to brute force usernames and passwords. Using
> public key authentication will take care of that.
>
> I also recently discovered an app that provides free two-factor
> authentication and wrote about it:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/69uqplc
>
> I'm not using it on a home server, but I am using it on a web server
> that's exposed to the world. Works great (with my Android phone) and you
> can't beat the price.
>
> --
> Jeremy L. Gaddis
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: