Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Re: [BLUG] How many of you run home servers?

I host a few services from home like a MOO (Mud-like service), but I keep ssh on a high-numbered port along with other basic security measures. At the very least it keeps the ssh grinders off my front door although it's no substitute for iptables, denyhosts, and security updates. I also keep my photo albums on my home web server, I don't have the patience to upload pictures to flickr and the like. I also have a cron that does a yum update on all internet-facing services at regular intervals we well.


On Jul 20, 2011, at 1:04 PM, Kirk Gleason wrote:

> I have a couple of home servers, but none of them are publicly accessible anymore. I used to host DNS for myself and some friend off of my Comcast connection a few years ago, as well as a small mail domain for myself; but I got bored with it, so now I just have file and proxy servers at home.
>
> When I did run public services, I only allowed through what I explicitly needed from the outside -- smtp, DNS, and ssh. Every other service that I needed access to I would access through an SSH tunnel. I also would test my firewall frequently, and I used to ask my IRC friend to test it for me as well.
>
> Maybe I'll need to build myself up a new server, and give my son that web page he has been asking for ...
>
> Kirk


_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: