Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Re: [BLUG] How many of you run home servers?

Jonathan North Washington <jonwashi@indiana.edu> wrote:
> However, I still want to be able to open up putty from a public
> machine somewhere and ssh to my server. Is there any way to allow
> myself to do this short of memorising my public key or carrying it
> around with me on flash drive or something?

Just change your /etc/ssh/sshd_config to run the daemon on some high
random port and be sure you have a strong password and you'll be fine.

The automated brute force attacks are looking for the "low hanging
fruit" -- servers w/ the SSH daemon running on 22/TCP with weak user
passwords.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: