Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Re: [BLUG] DVD player troubles

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 02:16 -0400, Michel Salim wrote:
> Does the disc work fine on other computers, or under Windows?
Yes, I've tried a couple discs that *wouldn't* play under Linux on my
Windows partition, and both played fine. (Additionally, I tried one on
a friend's laptop and it worked fine there, too.) So VLC has no problem
talking to the drive under Windows, just under Linux.

> What version of libdvdread?
I was using 0.9.4 (from the repos), but I compiled the latest version
(0.9.7) to see if it would make a difference (it didn't).

> I used Lite-on the last time I made a purchase, and was quite happy
> with it.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I'd rather not spend $30 on a new one,
but I might have to. (I've taken to ripping ISO images to my hard drive
and mounting those. Maybe I'll stave off buying a new player until I
run out of hard drive space.)

> Firmware should be no problem for using VLC or mplayer,
> really, as long as you can get raw access to the disc (haven't heard
> any instance of it not working in Linux, unlike in Mac OS X where
> Apple controls the drivers)
The weird thing about this whole mess is that upgrading the firmware
*did* allow me to play some discs that I hadn't been able to play
previously, so it most likely had *some* impact.

> Make a BartPE Windows live CD?
Not a bad idea.

Cheers,
Evan

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: