Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Re: [BLUG] screen

Thats a great summary. I use it for work IRC (stay logged in forever)
and long compiles or updates (I can go home then reconnect to screen
and see where I am at).

On 8/21/07, Steven Black <blacks@indiana.edu> wrote:
> I look forward to the presentation. Personally, I'm an avid Screen user.
>
> Here's a few of my personal thoughts on the matter.
>
> Benefits of using screen:
> * It allows me to pause what I'm doing and come in to work and pick up
> where I left off.
> * It allows you to have multiple connections over the same secure link --
> I can SSH through multiple machines to get to my destination, then run
> Screen there and have immediate access to more sessions.
> * It allows you to do multiple things when connected via a serial (direct
> or modem (think BBS, not PPP)) connection. -- In a server environment
> you may be using a serial console.
> * Provides a uniform way for me to have one big terminal window instead of
> lots of small terminal windows. (Tabs don't work the same in different
> applications that support them.) -- I do this on my laptop, when it is
> on my lap and I expect to be leaning back on my recliner/couch/whatever.
> * Provides a uniform way for me to monitor an application for change.
> (Some, but very few, GUI terminal applications support this.) I use this
> when I work from home (on my laptop) to monitor the work-related IRC
> channel for chatter. (At work, I just use two large monitors.)
> * Provides a uniform way to switch to specific screens using key-bindings.
> While this is supported in most tab-based GUI terminal emulators, the
> key bindings vary.
>
> Old school benefits of using screen:
> * Reduced traffic from server to client as opposed to multiple direct
> connections (useful with PPP/SLIP over a standard modem)
> * Text-mode web-browsing with Screen and multiple text-based web-browsers
> (such as Lynx, w3m, Links, etc.) is zippy even over slow connections.
> Research and even downloads would regularly go fast enough that I kept
> busy.
> * Screen allows dedicated dumb terminals to virtually support multiple
> connections to the same host. (While most people think "dumb terminal"
> is only equal to vt100's and the like, it also applies to Apple ]['s
> connected to an external modem logged in to a shell account.)
>
> Arguments against using screen:
> * Scroll-back doesn't work as expected.
> * Control-A is over-loaded. This effects EMACS key-bindings. (This can be
> seen in every GNU Read-line-based application, such as BASH.) GNU Readline
> supports VI-like keybindings using "set editing-mode vi" in your .inputrc,
> and GNU Screen supports changing the escape key with the -e command-line
> argument or the "escape" command in your .screenrc.
> * If you use EMACS, you can consider it superfluous. You may do better to
> learn the EMACS method, rather than using Screen.
> * If you only ever use your own accounts on your own machines, you may have
> things configured so that you don't need Screen.
>
> Cheers,
> Steven Black
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 11:21:01AM +0000, Mark Krenz wrote:
> >
> > Alright. I can give the a presentation at the next meeting or if that
> > it taken then the one after that. screen might only take about 30
> > minutes to go over so I can also show the power of vim (vi) in another 30-45
> > minutes.
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>


--
Matt Standish
MSN Messenger: mps_@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: mattstandish@yahoo.com
Google Talk: mstandish
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: