Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Re: [BLUG] screen

Count me in as definitely interested in a meeting about screen and vi.


Weldon Sams wrote:
> That sounds good -- screen and vi. Since you said vi, I think it could
> be useful if we shared some of our favorite options and ways to use
> basic unix commands (maybe even create a BLUG Cheat Sheet). Maybe just
> on the list. I know I found out something useful on just good old "ls"
> this week that drove me crazy for about 3 years. I always set the alias
> ls="ls -d" because I hate a colored terminal and I want to see
> directories with the trailing /. I didn't realize though that this
> henders ls'ing into symbolic links. If you add ls -dH then you can list
> the contents of symbolic links. I ran into this problem on Solaris 10
> and Mac OS X. "-H" works on Mac OS X. I'm not sure if the options are
> the same in unix -- they definitely aren't on my Gentoo machine.
>
> Weldon
>
> On 8/21/07, *Mark Krenz* <mark@slugbug.org <mailto:mark@slugbug.org>> wrote:
>
>
> Alright. I can give the a presentation at the next meeting or if that
> it taken then the one after that. screen might only take about 30
> minutes to go over so I can also show the power of vim (vi) in
> another 30-45
> minutes.
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 06:53:57AM GMT, Weldon Sams
> [wsams@indiana.edu <mailto:wsams@indiana.edu>] said the following:
> > A presentation might be nice, that way we could see some scenarios in
> > action.
> >
> > On 8/20/07, Mark Krenz <mark@slugbug.org
> <mailto:mark@slugbug.org>> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > Would it be more helpful to have a presentation on it or just
> explain
> > > it on list?
> > >
> > > On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 01:22:31AM GMT, Weldon Sams
> [wsams@indiana.edu <mailto:wsams@indiana.edu>]
> > > said the following:
> > > > Mark, do you think you could explain again how screen is used?
> I played
> > > with
> > > > it a little after that Gentoo presentation, but I'd really
> like to know
> > > how
> > > > to use it.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks, Weldon
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > Weldon Sams
> > > > wsams@indiana.edu <mailto:wsams@indiana.edu>
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mark Krenz
> > > Bloomington Linux Users Group
> > > http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > BLUG mailing list
> > > BLUG@linuxfan.com <mailto:BLUG@linuxfan.com>
> > > http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Weldon Sams
> > wsams@indiana.edu <mailto:wsams@indiana.edu>
>
> --
> Mark Krenz
> Bloomington Linux Users Group
>

http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com <mailto:BLUG@linuxfan.com>
>

http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>
>
>
>
> --
> Weldon Sams
> wsams@indiana.edu <mailto:wsams@indiana.edu>


--
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: