Saturday, September 15, 2007

Re: [BLUG] C/C++

On 15/09/2007, Simón Ruiz <simon.a.ruiz@gmail.com> wrote:

> But a lot of stuff that I don't yet know too much about also has high
> weight in the test. I need to learn my way around RPMs, LILO, and all
> the "GNU and Unix commands".
>
I feel your pain. LILO! Not aware that any distribution still ships it
by default, on most platforms anyway (I believe it's still needed on
Itaniums).

RPM has its quirks, though it does have some features DPKG does not
(dependencies on files, e.g. a package can say "I need
/usr/sbin/useradd"). Conversely, DPKG has "Suggest" (optional
dependencies) and the ability to re-run post-installation
configuration steps. Red Hat's yum is getting close to Apt in speed,
and SUSE's zypper is getting better too (in 10.3, zypper on 10.2 is
rubbish).. and RPM does multi-lib, of course.

Presumably you are using VMware or Xen to run one or two RPM-based
distros? (or have multiple physical machines -- lucky you!)

--
Michel

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: