Saturday, September 15, 2007

Re: [BLUG] C/C++

Michel Salim wrote:
> I feel your pain. LILO! Not aware that any distribution still ships it
> by default, on most platforms anyway (I believe it's still needed on
> Itaniums).

Itaniums use ELILO which is a different beast. They also use EFI
instead of the PC type BIOS. I believe the new Macs also use EFI and
may use ELILO for Linux asx well.

>
> RPM has its quirks, though it does have some features DPKG does not
> (dependencies on files, e.g. a package can say "I need
> /usr/sbin/useradd").

I absolutely hate that. I have to work with RPMs at work and I recently
changed our dependencies to be totally package based. I can't say "I
want version foo of /usr/sbin/useradd" but can say "I need shadow-utils
>= XYZ"
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: