Saturday, September 15, 2007

Re: [BLUG] C/C++

On 15/09/2007, Michael Schultheiss <schultmc@cinlug.org> wrote:
> Michel Salim wrote:
> > I feel your pain. LILO! Not aware that any distribution still ships it
> > by default, on most platforms anyway (I believe it's still needed on
> > Itaniums).
>
> Itaniums use ELILO which is a different beast. They also use EFI
> instead of the PC type BIOS. I believe the new Macs also use EFI and
> may use ELILO for Linux asx well.

I don't think any distribution is currently using ELILO on Intel Macs,
AFAIK -- would be nice when they do, and use the GPT partition table
natively. I think Intel's Santa Rosa platform also comes with EFI
instead of BIOS (but with BIOS emulation turned on by default,
naturally), so hopefully there'll be a critical mass of machines soon
(that, or someone ships a souped-up version of OLPC, with the
even-nicer OpenFirmware + LinuxBIOS)

> > RPM has its quirks, though it does have some features DPKG does not
> > (dependencies on files, e.g. a package can say "I need
> > /usr/sbin/useradd").
>
> I absolutely hate that. I have to work with RPMs at work and I recently
> changed our dependencies to be totally package based. I can't say "I
> want version foo of /usr/sbin/useradd" but can say "I need shadow-utils
> >= XYZ"
Yeah, it's mostly useful for third-party upstream packagers, I guess.
If they want to release a single RPM that will install on multiple
RPM-based distros, and thus cannot rely on a particular package name
..

Fedora uses package- and virtual-package dependencies (almost?)
exclusively, as far as I know.

--
Michel
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: