Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Re: [BLUG] Android - competition for iPhone?

Correct. I can just cp/mv my oggs and mp3s (not every podcast provides
an ogg, yet ;-) ) over to the iPod which mount just like any USB
drive.

I use bashpodder for my podcatcher, which saves podcasts in neat
little folders by date.

I just mv all the folders onto my iPod, open up the first folder and
hit play on the first podcast. Rockbox will just read through all the
audio files in alphabetical order, and then move on the next
(alphabetically) folder, so I listen to all my podcasts in rough
chronological order (+ or - 24 hours).

When I turn off the iPod, it saves a bookmark of where I was, and then
when I turn it on I just hit the "Play" button and it resumes.

Awesome for podcasts and for audiobooks. I don't listen to much music,
so I haven't played too much with using the database stuff or
randomizing anything, but my guess is it's all there somewhere.

And, I can play Frozen Bubble on the iPod while listening to my
podcasts if I get bored! ;-) Or chess, or Doom, or do Sudoku
puzzles... Though playing games really kills the battery, I'm guessing
mostly because of the backlight being on; I don't usually play games,
anyhow, as I generally only use the iPod while driving or walking the
dog.

...The only odd thing is that it takes a little while to play oggs (my
guess is that has something to do with the iPod having a hardware
based mp3 decoder, whereas the ogg decoding needs to be done with
software...).

Simón

On 11/13/07, Sams, Weldon <wsams@indiana.edu> wrote:
> Simón, I have question about Rockbox. Does that allow you to add music flash style to an iPod. I've resorted to using my BlackBerry. :) Although, I kind of like it better for music -- I just wish the battery lasted longer.
>
> Weldon

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: