Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Re: [BLUG] Android - competition for iPhone?

Oh, I agree with the opinion that there are benefits of having
commercial software choices (though I think the benefits might be
better realized if the commercial choices competed on quality, rather
than existing market dominance) on the grounds that free market
competition is beneficial to consumers. It's the same reason I think
forking within the free software community can be healthy.

I simply don't agree that it'd be any better with Apple monopolizing
an industry over Microsoft; it's merely a choice between expensive,
working, shiny handcuffs and cheap, good-enough, ugly handcuffs, as
far as I can tell...

On Nov 13, 2007 3:36 PM, Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org> wrote:
> I think there is room for commercial software and proprietaryness. I'm
> a much bigger fan and advocate of open protocols and formats than I am
> of all OSS. I don't think that all software should be free, and in
> fact think that there are often several benefits of having commercial
> software choices available.
>
> Just my two cents...
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: