Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Re: [BLUG] Android - competition for iPhone?

Well, I agree with the basic gist of what you are saying here.. It
seems a little futile to debate which turds would be least smelliest,
because the bottom line is that turds smell :)

I also recognize whole heartedly the overall frustration of having
several companies competing for ownership of your data, particularly
when so many consumers seem blissfully ignorant and complacent about
this stuff. Things have gotten so bad in the tech industry I often
wonder when or if there will be some sort of large scale consumer
revolt. At the top of my list are cell-phone contracts... Doesn't it
seem odd to some that we need to sign a legal document pledging
loyalty to a company we are paying money to for a product that will be
consumed?

Another rant for another thread though (I know my argument isn't at
all focused either), sorry to derail :)

On Nov 13, 2007, at 4:02 PM, Simón Ruiz wrote:

> Oh, I agree with the opinion that there are benefits of having
> commercial software choices (though I think the benefits might be
> better realized if the commercial choices competed on quality, rather
> than existing market dominance) on the grounds that free market
> competition is beneficial to consumers. It's the same reason I think
> forking within the free software community can be healthy.
>
> I simply don't agree that it'd be any better with Apple monopolizing
> an industry over Microsoft; it's merely a choice between expensive,
> working, shiny handcuffs and cheap, good-enough, ugly handcuffs, as
> far as I can tell...
>
> On Nov 13, 2007 3:36 PM, Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org> wrote:
>> I think there is room for commercial software and proprietaryness.
>> I'm
>> a much bigger fan and advocate of open protocols and formats than I
>> am
>> of all OSS. I don't think that all software should be free, and in
>> fact think that there are often several benefits of having commercial
>> software choices available.
>>
>> Just my two cents...
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug


_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: