Sunday, April 27, 2008

[BLUG] thoroughly unimpressed with Hardy

I'm wondering if any of you have had the problems I've had in a
network update to Hardy:


1) My Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT cannot be properly probed to determine
available resolutions, I'm stuck at 640x480 w. the proprietary Nvidia
driver. Several other users have had this same problem, it's an open
bug on Launchpad. For now, I'm stuck with the open source driver,
where I get my full screen resolution, but no 3D acceleration.

2) Hardy completely messed up my lirc config. Even after recompiling
the modules (which was necessary), I'm still having problems that
didn't exist in Gutsy with the lirc_pvr150 kernel module. For now, I'm
remote-less.

3) Synergy now needs to be run as root


I'm thinking about downgrading back to Gutsy, but I'm kind of afraid
to do that... I may have to wipe/reinstall. I guess next time I
shouldn't count on these upgrades going as smoothly as my upgrade from
Fiesty to Gutsy did.

Anybody else having these sorts of difficulties?


-----------
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe@netmusician.org


_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: