Sunday, April 27, 2008

Re: [BLUG] thoroughly unimpressed with Hardy

I'm feeling a little better in having figured out one of these problems:

On Apr 27, 2008, at 10:18 PM, Joe Auty wrote:

> I'm wondering if any of you have had the problems I've had in a
> network update to Hardy:
>
>
> 1) My Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT cannot be properly probed to determine
> available resolutions, I'm stuck at 640x480 w. the proprietary
> Nvidia driver. Several other users have had this same problem, it's
> an open bug on Launchpad. For now, I'm stuck with the open source
> driver, where I get my full screen resolution, but no 3D acceleration.
>
> 2) Hardy completely messed up my lirc config. Even after recompiling
> the modules (which was necessary), I'm still having problems that
> didn't exist in Gutsy with the lirc_pvr150 kernel module. For now,
> I'm remote-less.
>

I figured this out, for some reason the new lirc config was claiming
the lirc_dev module for both my receiver and IR transmitter which was
causing a conflict. I only needed lirc_dev for my IR transmitter. I
fixed this both by recompiling the lirc modules as well as taking cues
from my old configuration.


> 3) Synergy now needs to be run as root
>

This is very weird. There is at least one thread about this on the
Ubuntu forums. The fix involves not only running as root, but sudoing
the command as a regular user. Otherwise, for me, the daemon will
periodically die and leave my cursor stuck. Hopefully there will be a
resolution for this one.


The Nvidia issue still lingers, annoyingly so.


>
>
>
> I'm thinking about downgrading back to Gutsy, but I'm kind of afraid
> to do that... I may have to wipe/reinstall. I guess next time I
> shouldn't count on these upgrades going as smoothly as my upgrade
> from Fiesty to Gutsy did.
>
> Anybody else having these sorts of difficulties?
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -----------
> Joe Auty
> NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
> http://www.netmusician.org
> joe@netmusician.org
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: