Monday, April 28, 2008

Re: [BLUG] thoroughly unimpressed with Hardy

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Mark Krenz <mark@slugbug.org> wrote:
> I rarely do an "upgrade". I usually wipe and reinstall. Its a good
> oppurtunity for me to clean things up like my home directory, discover
> new software, drop unused software and avoid these wierd problems that
> happen when you upgrade your operating system. It really is not a Linux
> thing, its an OS thing. Windows, Linux, Mac.. same difference. Don't
> upgrade. Reinstall. Except with Windows you also reinstall it to fix
> most problems.

Yeah, it's like an opportunity to re-evaluate all the junk you put on
your system and whether you even want it anymore.

Also, if you're anything like me, you tend to fiddle with the more
esoteric configurations and settings, you tend to want software from
outside of the official repos so you add unofficial repos to your
sources and/or compile/recompile stuff from source and generally do
the sorts of things that the people preparing the "upgrade" scripts
can't reasonably be expected to foresee having to deal with.

If I don't do that sort of fiddling, my upgrades work. Since I do,
though, I avoid the hassle of even trying.

Plus, as Mark said, it's a good opportunity for personal computing
habit reflection and an excellent chance to let go of some of the
garbage I know I accumulate on my hard disks.

> --
> Mark Krenz
> Bloomington Linux Users Group
>

http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/

Simón

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: