Monday, April 28, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Party Hardy!

The LCD thing happens periodically to a number of laptops.

Typically in the boot help prompts (F2 - F6 or so) they will actually
mention a VGA mode number to try if you're having display issues with
your laptop. I've periodically needed to use it, but I've never needed
to remember any of the mode numbers.

I have just the opposite problem with my ThinkPad T60p (with the
optional FireGL). The CD installer's usplash looks perfect. However
anytime I try to use usplash once the system is running, the image never
comes out right. Presumably, if I knew the setting used in the installer
I could get it to work, but I've not bothered to research it. (This
isn't a new problem with this laptop.) Once X kicks in it is good, so I
tend to just disable usplash on it.

Cheers,
Steven Black

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:30:04PM -0400, Lord Drachenblut wrote:
> This was on KDE3 and I think it happened, can't date for sure, on the last set
> of patches to come out right as hardy was going from beta to release. It was
> something minor and the only problem I ran into. Also I should say this was
> a clean install not a upgrade. All in all I was very happy with everything.
> One other minor problem I want to throw out there to see if anyone else ran
> into is if anyone used the alternative installer and had "weird issues" with
> the display during install. The best way I can describe it is the
> alternative installer didn't detect my laptops lcd properly and was very
> fuzzy. but post install it all worked fine.
>
> Cheers

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: