Monday, April 28, 2008

Re: [BLUG] thoroughly unimpressed with Hardy

Steven Black wrote:
>
> Being a KDE fan, you may want to try one of the Kubuntu-KDE4 live CDs,
> just to get a taste of what is to come in KDE4.

Already have. Let's just say I'll need some convincing. :-)

> If MEPIS starts following the Debian time-lines, you may get tired of
> waiting for the next release. Debian has this issue in part because
> few Debian users actually *use* the stable branch. This was the major
> reason I started looking at other distributions, back before I settled
> on Kubuntu.

MEPIS has always taken a rap for being "outdated". The MEPIS 7 repos do
offer some apps that have been updated from what are available in Debian
stable. Open Office is one that comes to mind.

Personally, I don't care about latest and greatest. When I was running
Windows, I didn't move from W98SE until late in the game, and even then
I only moved "up" to W2K as my working environment. I'll go along with
Warren's emphasis on stability and usability over "new and improved".

Bringing it back to the original subject, I have installed both Ubuntu
and Kubuntu (KDE3) Hardy. Both installs were uneventful, and the few
minor post-install configurations I've done went fine. I still don't
like Gnome, and I still find the Kubuntu implementation of KDE to be
less than appealing.

But my observations don't mean much. I can barely drive the thing.

OTOH, if desktop Linux is going to continue making appreciable inroads,
it's people like me that are going to have to use it.

--
Mark Warner
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: