Monday, April 28, 2008

Re: [BLUG] thoroughly unimpressed with Hardy

I feel the same way about the clean install,  but if I'm gonna wipe anyway generally I back up and let it upgrade anyway before the wipe (just to see if it works).  It gives me a chance to warn people off of the upgrade, or say "give it a shot".

For instance, my Feisty ---> Gutsy upgrade went well, as did a recent upgrade from OSX 10.4 ---> 10.5.  I still wiped both of those installs out after I did them, though.  :)

Dave Cooley dcooley@kiva.net


Simón Ruiz wrote:
On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Mark Krenz <mark@slugbug.org> wrote:   
  I rarely do an "upgrade". I usually wipe and reinstall.  Its a good  oppurtunity for me to clean things up like my home directory, discover  new software, drop unused software and avoid these wierd problems that  happen when you upgrade your operating system. It really is not a Linux  thing, its an OS thing.  Windows, Linux, Mac.. same difference.  Don't  upgrade.  Reinstall.  Except with Windows you also reinstall it to fix  most problems.     
 Yeah, it's like an opportunity to re-evaluate all the junk you put on your system and whether you even want it anymore.  Also, if you're anything like me, you tend to fiddle with the more esoteric configurations and settings, you tend to want software from outside of the official repos so you add unofficial repos to your sources and/or compile/recompile stuff from source and generally do the sorts of things that the people preparing the "upgrade" scripts can't reasonably be expected to foresee having to deal with.  If I don't do that sort of fiddling, my upgrades work. Since I do, though, I avoid the hassle of even trying.  Plus, as Mark said, it's a good opportunity for personal computing habit reflection and an excellent chance to let go of some of the garbage I know I accumulate on my hard disks.    
 --  Mark Krenz  Bloomington Linux Users Group  http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/     
 Simón  _______________________________________________ BLUG mailing list BLUG@linuxfan.com http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug   

No comments: