Friday, July 18, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Meeting presentation idea: OpenPGP/Gnu Privacy Guard

I use Windows at work, as my company is a Microsoft shop. I use Firefox,
Thunderbird and Pidgin instead of the MS equivalents. My boss tolerates
my love of Free software, but never misses a chance to tease me about
Linux and how "they missed their chance" or whatever.

I plan to demonstrate Thunderbird with enigmail and GPG in Windows as
well as on Linux, so you're not SOL when you're away from Linux. Also,
there's an add-on for Thunderbird called LookOut that lets you handle
the TNEF encoded bits of emails from Outlook.

And Jeremy, we definitely need a keysigning party! But we have to do the
signing before the drinking. http://xkcd.com/364/ is what happens when
you do it wrong.

-Barry

Kevin Ratcliff wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Barry Schatz <sorbetninja@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone else interested?
>>
>
> I'm very interested in this topic! I occasionally use GPG on Windows
> with Microsoft LookOut at work, but it's fairly rare that I send
> "sensitive" information via email. I'd love to learn a better approach
> though, as GPG with Outlook is kind of a pain the way I do it now.
>
> BTW, I've been on the BLUG mailing list for a while now but haven't
> introduced myself to the group yet or been to a meeting. Anyway, I
> work at Ivy Tech with Jeremy during the day and "play" with computers
> the rest of my free time (typical geek, I guess). In case you are
> wondering about my references to Outlook above, yes, I am a Windows
> user and a linux user. I spend more time in a Windows GUI than I do a
> linux command line, and I think both have their uses. Even though
> linux isn't my primary OS I still very much enjoy learning it.
>
> I hope to attend a meeting soon, if you'll allow a Windows user; maybe
> some of you can convince me to switch over from the dark side :)
>
> Kevin Ratcliff
>
>
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: