Friday, July 18, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Meeting presentation idea: OpenPGP/Gnu Privacy Guard

Steven Black wrote:
> Here are some things of note:
>
> * The US Government admits that using unencrypted email is like sending
> all your letters on postcards. There's no expectation of privacy, so
> there's nothing wrong with reading them.
>
Very true. It's a point I'll bring up.
> * To get the most out of encryption, you have to use it all the time.
> If only use encryption for "sensitive" emails, then you've suddenly
> indicated that (1) you have sensitive emails, and (2) these specific
> emails contain all of the sensitive information.
>
I encrypt whenever I can. Unfortunately, some of my friends don't get
why, how or when. We do the best we can with what we have.
> * I've heard the military will actually send encrypted garbage back and
> forth when they have nothing to say. This has two purposes, (1) the
> person listening in has no idea when something important is being say
> as the communication occurs regularly even when everyone knows nothing
> interesting is happening, and (2) if they try to decrypt garbage, they
> can't really get anywhere with it, regardless of how long they try or
> the processing power available.
>
Also an excellent point. There's no sudden spike in encrypted traffic
when something is going to happen.
> I think this is a great topic, personally.
>
> Unfortunately, other life factors have prevented (and will probably
> continue to prevent) my attending in the near future. (1. I'm trying to
> buy a house, if I succeed, it will be quite busy. 2. My wife and I are
> expecting our first in late December, presuming that goes well, things
> will be somewhat hectic for a time.)
>
Life has a funny way of doing that. I'll try to make notes available for
people who can't make it. Congratulations on anticipated fatherhood! Get
all the sleep you can, because your life is about to change drastically
and permanently. I wouldn't know, as I'm single and childless.

-Barry
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: