Friday, July 18, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Meeting presentation idea: OpenPGP/Gnu Privacy Guard

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Barry Schatz <sorbetninja@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use Windows at work, as my company is a Microsoft shop. I use Firefox,
> Thunderbird and Pidgin instead of the MS equivalents. My boss tolerates my
> love of Free software, but never misses a chance to tease me about Linux and
> how "they missed their chance" or whatever.

We were pretty much an all Windows shop here until Jeremy showed us
the light :) Now we're a mixed environment for the servers, though
client PC's are almost all Windows.

Jeremy may have you all thinking he's strictly a linux/Mac guy, but
he's actually quite experienced in Windows system administration, and
even does .NET programming! (sorry Jeremy, I'll stop picking on you
now)

> I plan to demonstrate Thunderbird with enigmail and GPG in Windows as well
> as on Linux, so you're not SOL when you're away from Linux. Also, there's an
> add-on for Thunderbird called LookOut that lets you handle the TNEF encoded
> bits of emails from Outlook.

I use Thunderbird for offline access to my personal email (IMAP), and
I like it a lot. We have Exchange at work though, and while IMAP does
work on the Exchange server I gave up using it because of some
"issues" I ran into. Probably Microsoft's fault for not being
compliant with the standards, but in any case they didn't play well
together. I tried Evolution on linux with Exchange too but wasn't
happy with it either.

Firefox is awesome though! To get back on topic of GPG, is anyone
using FireGPG (http://getfiregpg.org/) with Gmail? I haven't found a
lot of information about it and I think it's fairly new so I don't
really know if it's considered a "secure" implementation.

Kevin
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: